WSSL offers the opportunity for players in any division -- from U8 to U14 -- to participate on a tournament team. Players for the tournament teams are selected through a pre-season tryout process. Before considering tryouts, players and their families should determine if they 1) have an interest in playing more competitive soccer, 2) are committed to participating in additional practices and in the tournaments themselves, and 3) are prepared to deal with the additional logistics -- paperwork, fees, travel, passes, etc. -- that are required to enter tournaments.
The WSSL Tournament Teams offer more and more competitive soccer opportunities than the Core Program and somewhat less than the Travel Program. The Tournament Program is an excellent bridge for players who want more, but not as much as Travel offers. It is also a great way for a player to prepare for entering the Travel Program, if that is of interest.
All tournament teams competing against teams outside the WSSL family will be held to the highest possible standards of sportsmanship regardless of the circumstances and that all of WSSL's guiding philosophies will be adhered to strictly in letter and spirit. They are Everyone Plays, Open Registration, Good Sportsmanship, Positive Coaching, Balanced Teams and Player Development.
As part of a tournament team a player must commit to the following:
- Weekly participation on a Core team with weekend practices/games.
- Participation on a second Tournament team (with a new group of players) with a weekly training session with a professional Red Bulls trainer.
- Participation in at least one and up to two area tournaments each season (included in fees). Additional tournaments during the season or in the off season can be arranged by the team directly, as desired.
COMMITMENT: Tournament play requires a deeper level of commitment than recreational soccer. Players who want to be on a tournament team must commit to attending one additional practice each week.
FEES & REFUND POLICY: There are additional costs to participate in the tournament. There is an entry fee associated with tournaments as well as training and uniform costs. The fee for participating on a tournament team is $200 per player in addition to WSSL registration fees for the Core Program. This fee covers professional training (1x week), new jerseys every Fall, a training tee and entry fees for up to two tournaments a season. Needs based scholarships are available. Documentation of need is required. NO REFUNDS ARE GIVEN TO PLAYERS ONCE THEY ARE ASSIGNED TO A TOURNAMENT TEAM.
TRANSPORTATION: You will need to think about transportation to the tournament as most of them are not easily accessible by subway or train. There are likely to be carpooling opportunities, but you will ultimately be responsible for arranging for your transportation.
GENERAL: If you think that your child might be interested in playing on a tournament team, you will need to understand the following:
- Your child must be registered to play soccer in the current season of West Side Soccer League and must be in division U8 (B8 or G8) and up.
- Your child will need to register to participate in a mandatory tryout with other players. NO WALK ONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Up to two teams per eligible division will be formed, numbers permitting.
- Any player who accepts a spot on a Tournament team will be charged $200 to join the team and will need to pay prior to attending any training sessions.
- Scholarships are available and will be determined once players are placed on teams.
- All players who try out must be able to participate in the Memorial Day tournament and a Father's Day (Spring) and a Columbus Day tournament and a Halloween tournament (Fall).
- Weekly training will continue throughout the entire season.
- Certain divisions will also play in two matches (one home and one away) against similarly skilled teams from Brooklyn's AYSO Tournament Program.
- For players offered a spot on a tournament team, their acceptance and the $200 payment will be due on a specific date or their spot will be offered to the first available alternate.
- Any player who misses two training sessions will be removed from the team and an alternate will be given a permanent spot. Attendance will be kept for every training session.
- No refunds will be given to any player placed on a tournament team.
- No tournament teams will be formed after the tryout process.
Mandatory Extra Weekly Practices
WSSL will schedule a weekly practice -- in addition to any Core program team practice and game -- for each team with a professional trainer from the New York Red Bulls. Times and fields vary, but are generally in Manhattan, on the West Side and between 3:45 and 7:00 pm. A couple of training times are on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Schedules will be posted on the Schedules page under Weekday Training Schedules.
Each Division will need a tournament coordinator who will work with the Division Head and the League's Tournament Director to select and register for tournaments and to adminster tournament details. Each team will need a tournament manager. Each team will also need one or more parent coaches.
Coaching & Team Training
Professional trainers from the New York Red Bulls will run the weekday training sessions. Parent coaches are invited to attend, but if they cannot make it, the training staff will communicate with them about the curriculum covered, team strengths and weaknesses and strategies for the tournament formats.
Parent coaches will run the team during the actual tournaments and any friendly matches leading up to the tournament. Red Bull trainers will accompany teams to the tournaments, where possible, and will serve as advisors and mentors to the parent coaches.
Parent coaches are required to be trained at the appropriate level for the age group and will be require to attend a minimum of two (2) coach education clinics during each season. Coaches/trainers -- professional and parent -- will be required to conduct themselves in the most sportsmanlike manner possible with the team, the parents, the opponents, etc.
Team Selection/Try Outs
A team of professional trainers from the New York Red Bulls will work with WSSL to run tryouts and will assess the skill level and athleticism of the players who participate. Players who are ready to compete at a higher level will be invited to join a team. Players who are not ready for tournament level play will be invited to continue their skill development in the Core program. Prospective players for tournament teams are required to sign up for tryouts in advance. No tournament teams will be formed outside of the tryout process.