Winter Futsal Program
In the Winter of 2011/2012, WSSL partnered with New York Futsal to offer its families a winter program where they could continue their passion for the game of soccer and improve their skills. The partnership was a perfect one from the get go. WSSL's and New York Futsal's leadership believe strongly in healthy competition and the idea that if everyone plays, everyone has fun and becomes a better soccer player. Over 600 children participated in the Winter Futsal Program and had a blast! In the first season, some teams even came out on top in the Championship matches against local travel teams. Go WSSL!!
West Side Soccer League and New York Futsal will offer the Winter Futsal Program to WSSL players every winter!
What is futsal?
Futsal or "futbol de sala" (indoor soccer) is the official FIFA version of 5-a-side soccer that uses a slightly heavier, less bouncy, size 4 futsal ball. It was developed in South America in the 1920s and is characterized by explosive action, offense turning to defense and back again in seconds and the development of stellar foot skills, on-field communication and teamwork. It is a blast and the perfect compliment to traditional soccer.
-- 10 indoor games (7 league, 2 playoff and 1 initial scrimmage to determine team placement)
-- No rainouts! New York Futsal games are played in NYC gyms on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday.
-- Boys and girls from U8 to U19, with a combined division for U15 and up
-- 10 players per team with one parent coach from WSSL (minimum 8 and maximum 12 players)
-- Season starts December 2, 2011 and runs through February 24, 2012
-- Every WSSL player gets an exclusive 10% discount off the $120 per player team fee ($1200 per team for a team of 10); standard referee fees of $250 will be waived; $15 individual player registration fee
-- You may put together your own teams. WSSL philosophies of positive coaching, good sportsmanship, player development and equal playing time still apply.
How to Register
1. You will need to gather a team of 8 to 12 players and one coach and/or team manager. Give yourselves a name that starts with WSSL... like WSSL United, WSSL Thunder, WSSL Ladybugs, etc.
2. Every player must be registered individually through Sports Signup. $15 per player.
3. Each team's manager or coach will then need to register the team. You will need the name and DOB of each player, a coach and/or a team manager and the total team fee of $1080, which can be paid by credit card, PayPal or check. The coach or team manager will need to collect $108 from each player (for 10 players... more for 8 and less for 12).
4. Each player should have indoor soccer shoes or other appropriate sneakers and a personal futsal.
5. If your child or a child you know already receives a WSSL scholarship for the Fall season and would like them to play on a WSSL Winter Futsal team, please contact Sara Fischer at email@example.com.