West Side Soccer League is looking always looking to provide rewarding volunteer experience to willing and interested teenagers. Teen referees, once trained, can ref as little or as much as they like, choose games and age groups that work with their schedule and level of comfort/interest, and earn those critical community service hours. Being a teen ref is lots of fun, teaches leadership skills and offers an important service to the community.
To become a referee, interested teens need to take the training outlined below and then they can start refereeing. If they are reluctant to get started after training, they will be paired up with an experienced referee for an initial game or two in U6-U8. The mentor referee will go through the process of talking to coaches and kids in the game and on the sideline, monitor the game and answer any questions at the breaks.
Teens can referee at two levels depending upon their training:
U-8 Official & Safe Haven: These courses are required to referee at the U-6, U-7 and U-8 levels. They are also a prerequisite for taking the Basic Referee class. (minimum age is 10 years old)
Basic Referee Training: After taking the U-8 Official course, this additional course is required to referee at the U-9 level and above. At this level teams play with goalkeepers, follow the offside law and we begin using Assistant Referees. (minimum age is 12)
Here is the info on the next referee training classes that we are offering:
On August 4th from 6:30PM-9PM, U-8 Official (roster number 201501938).
Pre-requisites are Safe Haven and Concussion Awareness. These are available online at aysotraining.org.
Please note: Last day to enroll in this course is July 31st.
On August 6th from 6PM-9:30PM, Basic Referee Course (roster number 201501939).
Pre-requisites are the U-8 Official course, and the online Safe Haven and Concussion Awareness course at aysotraining.org.
Please note: Last day to enroll in this course is August 2nd.
Go here for instructions on how to sign up for training classes.
More information about training can be found here.
To register for any of these classes, go to eAYSO, login and click on "Enroll to take a class". You will be taken to a page that shows all the training available from AYSO. Enter Section 3, Area A in the fields at the top of the page and click Search. You will see a list of all of the classes currently scheduled in New York City. Select the box next to the course name you are interested in (see the roster numbers above) and click on the Course Signup button. This will register you for the class.
Youth referees must meet the age requirements listed above. They can serve as a Center Referee for games with players at least two years younger than they are, or be an Assistant Referee up to their own age level. Note that service credits are earned both for refereeing as well as the hours spent in the training classes. Teens will need to referee at least two games to get credit for classes.
For a Schedule of games league-wide, click here.
For the Calendar where course dates are listed, click here.
For more information or for help getting involved, please contact John Drayton, Teen Referee Program Director.
Instructions for Teens to Sign Up as a Referee
Part 1: Register as a Volunteer with AYSO
- Register as a volunteer on the national AYSO website and complete the volunteer form. The site is found at eyso.org.
Part 2: Register as a Teen Referee with West Side Soccer League
- Go to "Log In" found in the upper right of the WSSL home page.
- Click "Register as a new user".
- Use your OWN email address or username, not your parent's.
- Create a password.
- Enter your name, gender, address and phone number.
- Under "Volunteer Information" and "I would like to volunteer as a:", check "Referee".
- After "Ref Division", select "Teen Refs".
- Check "Create Parent Record"
- Check "Family Profile Complete - Continue to Next Step"
- Ignore the message "Registration Status: Not Applicable" as this just means you aren't registering a child to play in the league.
- Go to the referee drop-down menu and select "Activate Referee Functions" if you have just created a new account - this only has to be done once ever (not once a season). If you have done it previously, the option is called "My Referee Record."
- Check "I would like to volunteer as a referee for AYSO" and "Update Volunteer Info"
- Check "I am a Youth Referee"
- Click on the inLeague home menu button
Part 3: Sign Up on the WSSL Schedule for Games You Would like to Referee
- Log in to the WSSL system, if you are not already logged in, using your the user name and password you created in Part 2.
- Click "Referees" on the horizontal bar.
- Select "Referee Assignment Requests" in the drop down menu.
- Find a game you want and click "Open".
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Submit Assignment Requests".
- If your plans change, you can't remove your name and need to contact the Teen Referee Coordinator or a Chief Referee for that division who can take you off the schedule. It is your responsibility to update your schedule if your plans change.