West Side Soccer League is:
- dedicated to the development of safe, high-quality, youth-centered soccer programs, which promote a fun, family environment.
- a volunteer soccer league of approximately 400 teams for boys & girls ages 5 to 18 each season.
- ONLY for registered players who are committed to participate each week in practices and games.
- proud to play in Riverside Park, Central Park (Fall only), Randall's Island and on various turf fields in parks from 138th Street & Amsterdam to 114th Street & 1st Avenue.
- Everyone Plays: Every player on every team plays at least 3/4 the game, but often more. Teams are built so that every player counts. Attendance by all players at every training session and game is critical to the WSSL program.
- Open Registration: Every player who registers is accepted, space permitting.
- Balanced Teams: We discourage player placement requests so that we can make the most balanced teams possible. Balanced teams provide for the most satisfying level of competition and better learning environments for all players.
- Positive Coaching: We expect our coaches to be excellent role models and to support all players' learning on the field during training and competition.
- Good Sportsmanship: Players, volunteers and parents are expected to display the most sportsmanlike behavior possible. We have a "zero tolerance" policy for bad sportsmanship from anyone associated with WSSL.
- Player Development: We emphasize the development of age-appropriate technical and tactical skills and pure love of the game rather than winning.
WSSL's Programs include:
- A Core Program with a Spring season (April through June) for boys and girls ages 5 to 19 for $100 per player and a Fall season (September through November) for boys and girls ages 5 to 19 for $120 per player.
- A free weekly skills training program with professional coaches for Core players in U6 to U12 during each season.
- New in Winter 2012: Indoor Winter Futsal Program through our partners at New York Futsal.
- New in Spring 2012: Tournament Program for U8 to U19 with one weekday training session led by professional coaches.
- New in Fall 2012: Travel Program for U9 to U14 with two weekday training sessions led by professional trainers from the New York Red Bulls.
WSSL also offers additional soccer-related programs & benefits that make WSSL the most comprehensive & robust soccer program in NYC:
- A Fall tournament every Columbus Day Weekend (October).
- Certification & professional continuing education clinics for coaches.
- Certification training, support & mentoring for referees.
- Myriad opportunities for adults to get involved.
- Dedicated volunteers to turn to for answers and guidance.
- An annual Volunteer Recognition Awards night (November).
- Soccer uniforms, team photos (fall only) and awards for younger kids.
- Discounts on soccer shoes and other gear at Upper 90.
- Scholarships for players who need financial support.
- Partnerships with and scholarships to local soccer camps.
- A Friday outreach program in Hamilton Heights each season.
- Support for the creation of new fields as well as field refurbishment.
- Opportunities to see the New York Red Bulls play on the national stage.